Thursday, October 6, 2011

October 6: No Show----Just Share

Today I was reminded of why I have always had the rule about no drinks but water near a quilt-in-progress.  I was extremely lucky for someone who broke her own rule. 

Today's near catastrophe happened while I was doing hand-stitching during the day with only music in the background  (I was not even singing along!!!!). I am attaching the binding to a quilt with extra loft poly batting, using dark thread with a border on the front side that is off-white and needed to be focused.  I had no distractions and did not see the near-train wreck coming. What was I thinking????  I was drinking a red drink that seems to stain anything that gets within a drop of it.   I picked up my bottle--and low-behold--the lid was not real secure on the stupid soft sided bottle. (I know, kids ---- bottles are inanimate objects so the stupid part was on me.) The drink squirted out and all over my hands and my t-shirt.  The amazing thing is that not ONE DROP got on the quilt. Must consider it a miracle of sorts because it is one I am putting together for Dad.

What did I take away from this?  Remember that I make rules for a reason!  Also, gray t-shirts stain but don't show as badly as white ones.

I have always been very strict with myself and my friends about any type of food or drink, including water, in my studio.  That will never change.  With the coming of warm drink season, I am going to have to monitor myself and be vigilant, especially as I work on Dad's projects for the bazaar because there is no time and no way to recreate all the embroidered blocks in such a short time.   I have quite a few table runners, wall hangings, and small quilts at the binding stage.  The hand-stitching part of binding is mainly done in my comfy chair in the evenings when I am spending time with Kevin and some times it is almost too tempting to snuggle under the WIP and also enjoy some cocoa.

 Guess I better hid my coaster!

No comments: