|Blocks 1-4 of the Craftsy Block of the Month. - February's Chevron|
and Balkan Puzzleblocks are on the left side. The blocks finish 12x12.
Then later this afternoon, I decided it was time to make my February Craftsy's Block of the Month. I was frustrated by the fact that I really had a time printing out the directions, but once I started sewing, the blocks came together nicely. I am making 2 sets, so I managed to have a little more time to think about the process. I love making half square triangles so these blocks could easily have been done my way, but I used both methods presented.
The Balkan Puzzle block used a method that had me sew a quarter inch around the entire edge of my block and then cut it diagonally twice. I use my rotating cutting board and it worked out well. My blocks were for the most part exactly the right measurement, but I did need to trim off the dog ears. Only concern about this method is the fact that all sides of the block are bias. Worked out fine for this block, but I am not certain I would use this for larger blocks.
The second block was a chevron and used the method I use. Draw a diagonal and then sew a quarter inch seam on each side. Then cut, press, and trim to size. I did notice that I had more waste with this method, but the tool, the 6 1/2" Precision Trimmer, I use to trim works like a charm.
Both blocks came together without any issues. I am more of a traditionalist, so I am anxious to see what happens with the other blocks. I am enjoying using part of my stash of blues.