Sunday, October 23, 2011

October 23: Our Weekend

Saturday, we planned to check for any remaining color and also to go to a arts and crafts show in one of the small towns close to our home, but also planned for Kevin to go do his school work on Sunday.  We started out with a few errands, including lunch and groceries.  When we drove through Westford on the way home, we discovered that its show was on Sunday , but we decided not to take it in.    The biggest draw was that they had apple pie by the slice, so I bought Kevin some Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garica to ease the disappointment. 

The last foliage shots for the season are some of our favorites although the colors have definitely faded.  We are going to have one of them blown up to put in the frame that Kevin had to build as one of this class projects.






Our afternoon was spend working on our individual projects followed by church at 4:30.  In the evening I was determined to win a game of cribbage.  When it came down to the last bit, we both needed just one to go out, so Kevin should have won, but I scored the first point.  Ta-Da!  Does not happen as often as it should if I really am the queen.


Sunday started off with Kevin making our traditional scrambled eggs breakfast, but we had gone to church on Saturday, so we started the day off a little later than usual.  Once Kevin left for school, I hit the studio and sewed all day with the exceptions of laundry and making a newly invented meatloaf recipe. 

I had a mission to use up a bag of scraps.  I was using up scraps so I was not certain what I would get, but these fabrics deserved to be used up as a group.  Sadly, I have made 3 comfort quilts for special women in my life who have had or have ovarian cancer.  The Blank Fabric company offered up turquoise fabrics in support of research for this cancer and most of the fabric used came from purchases from them.  Considering that I had a few string blocks and 36 blocks that were already cut 6 1/2 x 6 1/2, I needed to think of what I could do to make this work.  The outer border used up the very last of this fabric.  The quilt measures 50x72.  Nice surprise to see how it all worked out.







Kevin worked hard at school.  He brought home a couple of photos from a quilting side table he is making for me.  The Ohio Star for the top is made up of curly maple and exotic hardwood veneers.  The table will have two drawers to hold all my quilty things near my chair.  He also worked on making me some small frames for my new found pastime of needle punch.

We ended the afternoon with a two mile walk.  This is big considering the amount of rain and canceled walks that we have had the past couple of weeks.  Hope to get more outdoor walks in this week, but I may have to resort to my walking tapes so I can get a little more time on the feet.

As I said, dinner was a recently (today) invented meatloaf.  I am following a program so I needed to use ingredients that fit, but Kevin and I both agreed it was tasty enough to share.

Meatloaf
Simmer the following on low heat for 45 min.
1 cup celery, sliced
1/2 cup green onions, sliced
2 medium tomatoes, diced
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 to 1 1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp marjoram
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1/4 tsp thyme
3 TBSP water

Add:
2 oz. finely crushed low salt pretzels
16 oz ground sirloin

Form into 4 mini loaves or one large one.  Place in a meatloaf pan so that fat can drain off.  Bake at 400 for 45-60 minutes.  1/4 of the recipe equals one serving.

And finally, another self-portrait.  Obviously, Kevin is starting his beard.  Has not been able to have one for 30 years, so we'll see where it leads.  Please note, that we are both going a little white.  lol

1 comment:

Kathie said...

the ruler you asked about over on my blog is the Quilt In a Day triangular 45 degree ruler. We found prior to the workshop that all of those rulers are not created equal. The only one the was perfect so that the pieces fit was the Quilt in a Day brand.

quiltsbykathie