Monday, October 3, 2011

October 2: Slow but satisfying Sunday


I already had the lil' Twister, so we purchased this book, 4 charm
packs, and a yard of backing width fabric.
We started off in the rain, so we actually took the truck to church.  Then Kevin headed for school to do some of his "homework" and I headed to my studio to take care of some more table runners for Dad's bazaar.  I ended up playing for quite a while with the fabrics we purchased on Saturday.

I started out with the intention of making just one block to honor my promise to check it out but I got hooked into making all nine that could be made with one charm pack. I made nine blocks --- nine-patch with a 3 inch border blocks measuring about 14" x 14", and then I cut and restitched them into 9 1/2 " by 9 1/2" blocks.  There seemed to be quite a bit of waste with this but I was not willing to save the leftovers that are all bias cut.  Here are four of the blocks so you can start to envision it.  We  have decided to make a queen size to use during the spring and summer.  The most amazing part is that this design is so far from what I usually do. Kevin does not like the look of batiks, but we both agreed that this one feels a little like Monet inspired ---Not the design but the way the colors play together. 

You will not be seeing any more of this during October or maybe even November because I have a plan and want to stick to it.  Today I am going to finish this post and then I am going to be quilting a few of the little quilts I have made from Dad's embroidered blocks.  Kevin helped me pin two and I will do a simple diagonal through the not embroidered blocks.  Then tonight I am hoping to have him help me pin two others so I will have plenty of binding to do for the remainder of this week's evenings.



Special Note about changing size: not clothes but ring size


Saturday night my hands were rather cold.  As I went into the bathroom to brush my teeth, my rings simply slipped off my finger as I reached down.  It made me feel a little sad although I am delighted to be getting into better shape.  I put them on the table and thought about them all night.  (Cold hands are something that I experience more often as I am changing size so I did not want to take the chance of losing something so precious to me.)

Guess what we did after lunch?  Kevin decided we were going to Burlington and purchasing me a new band.  He would have bought more, but I told him that once I was at the size I wanted to be for life I would rather have our original bands re-sized.  Did not know that changing my ring one full size would be what was needed, but I now have my original band and then the smaller plain band on and everything is staying in place. My eternity band is tucked in a safe place waiting for resizing in the future.  Can you even see the difference?  My wedding ring is on the left and is very thin on one side because I am left handed and have worn it for 35+ years. The change was just one size, but then maybe I had been strangling my finger for years??? 

Guess this proves we are on a second honeymoon since he knew not being able to wear my ring was making me so sad.



1 comment:

Castle Family said...

LOVE! the quilt design.