Wednesday, October 19, 2011

October 19: Needle Punch or Punch Needle

This is my first piece of needle punch, and I m having a great deal of fun with it.  When Connie and I went to the quilt show in Shelburne a few weeks ago we each purchased a few supplies to try it.  I was envisioning some primitive Christmas ornaments.  There were a number of quilts in the show that had needle punch blocks, but I am not certain whether I would do it.  Need to experiment to find out if it will really hold up to any machine washing because that is a requirement for me if I am making quilts to be loved, cuddled, and possibly used up because of it.  (Lots of washing required for kid's snuggly quilts, right?)

You can use patterns, clip art, or simple coloring book outlines, but I love to doodle so mine will be original, but simple designs. The work is done from the back so nobody will see how many lines I decide to skip or add as the design progresses. I enjoyed what I did so much that this afternoon I hope to pick up a few more supplies and get even a little more creative.  Then while Kevin is at the wood turning club meeting tonight, Connie and I are going to get together and be creative.

I have fought the good fight of not adding other crafty hobbies, but this is such a nice way to relax and just do something with my hands.  Also, I may use it to embellish a few quilts if it stands up to the wash test.  When I am not hand piecing or binding at night this will be something to fall back on.

No comments: