Monday, October 10, 2011

October 10: Stop at School, Another Quilt Show, A Walk, and Errands

How much do you squeeze into your weekends?  We try hard to find at least a little time for relaxing and just enjoying, but there are always those little tasks than want to be done.  This Sunday we tried to do some of everything for ourselves.  After church we headed out for our day trip.  First stop was Kevin workbench where he took care of a few quick things that he had not finished on Saturday.  I took my binding and happily sat with it and Terri's dog, Bailey, while he worked.

 

This is Bailey.  She comes to school with Terri,
who is Kevin's advisor.  She also teaches
some 2-4 day workshops which I might try
in November.

This photo is of the base Kevin
is buildingin his fundamentals class and
will be used  for his small Shaker table.


When Kevin finished his task, we headed out to Morrisville to another quilt show.  This was a much smaller one but had many delightful quilts to view.  It is fun to discuss quilts with Kevin and discover new things about how he views things.  In the past he has been outspoken about how much he did not care for batiks, but he saw several different batik quilts and could finally explain what it was that bothered him.  He likes order and finds it in more traditional quilt patterns and colors that seem to play well in his mind.  The batikquilt that he did not care for was a wonderful traditional pattern that he really did like, but he said with enormous number of different color combinations and the the fact that they all seemed to leap at you made him feel that there was no place for his eyes to rest. Then he said the same about a few sampler quilts.  Not the ones at the show specificallly, but rather sampler quilts that were a mish-mash of color. 

***Sometimes he does not love a quilt I make, but he always compliments some aspects of it and if I press he will tell me why it is not a favorite.  He has a good eye and a great sense of color so he can talk the talk and has made a couple of quilts so he can appreciate the effort put into any one he sees.  Therefore, I can appreciate his candor.  I tell him the same thing about some of furniture we see, but I have not built any so I don't always know what it is that makes me love some things and wonder what people were thinking when they made other pieces.

We had lunch outside and continued to drive in search of fall foliage as we headed back to our area and then off to take care of a few errands.  I will share foliage pictures in a separate post.  Before heading home we stopped at Joanns to find a few items for Zoe's crafty birthday request and a few dowels and beads for hanging Dad's wall hangings.  Then we went to Lowes for a board, a plastic box, a socket for a quick project, lag bolts, and 3 little banners for my porch holder.  Feeling like we better walk before coming home so that we would not come up with some "lame" excuses, we stopped at the path for our two mile walk. Love spending a 1/2 hour walking and talking with my best friend.

It was late afternoon but the weather was so beautiful that Kevin decided he could still build my handrail while I sat outside and did binding when not helping with holding boards.  He said it is not a work of art, but when the weather gets cold and the steps get a little slippery, it will be a blessing!

We spent the evening doing a combination of things.  First we moved out our old washer, cleaned the laundry area and laid down a long piece of carpet remanent.  Then Kevin spackled all the holes in the kitchen while I did the dishes.  Feeling like we had accomplished enough we watching a very different version of Robin Hood while I did my binding and Kevin did some surfing on the web. 

No comments: