Tuesday, October 4, 2011

October 4: Memory Lane

I met my neighbor Jean yesterday.  We talked about our grandchildren, the Fairfax Fire and Rescue, the weather, and life in general.  She told me that today is one of her favorites because she goes to the senior citizens' luncheon at the fire and rescue.  She found out that I was a quilter and passed on two books that I paged through today.  One brought back the nightmare memories of creating clothing based on body image - a clothing class I was actually required to take as part of my first bachelor's core class.  I was average size in those days and was still hoping for a real chest.  We did all kinds of work with our silhouettes, tape measures, and pattern pieces.  I absolutely hated my body by the end of that course!!!  Fortunately as I looked through this book I just laughed and actually said aloud that I knew why I quilt rather than make clothing.

copyright 1989
from the1989 Better Homes
 and Gardens Creative American
 Quilts, pg 13 
The second book, Better Homes and Gardens Creative American Quilting (pictured) is from 1989.  Quilting has come a long way since then but some parts never change. My mom made a few and also left behind a few UFOs that were all cut out with scissors and had notebook paper pattern pieces, but she really did not inspire me to quilt as much as to love the process of creating things. When I really got interested in quilting more than a baby quilt, I watched Fons and Porter on public television as often as possible.  I even bought a number of their full seasons on DVD and years of their magazine.  This photo is also from the book.   Remember all the vests they wore in their shows?   We were all younger back then, but they are still creating and so am I. The book is one worth paging through and there are some very interesting bits of information worth reading.   Thought some of you would like the trip down memory lane with me.

No comments: