Friday, October 14, 2011

October 14: Thoughts

Yesterday was the Navy's birthday.  We celebrate birthdays with ice cream, especially with the birthday child in not available, so we stopped off for a pint of Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia.  Next birthday is our son-in-law's so Kevin will get his ice cream fix twice this week.  Then next is Zoe's 5th birthday.  Thank you for all that need us to celebrate.  Thought he might just lick the inside of the bowl last night, but he practiced restraint.

Today I had planned to get on the HQ and quickly meander the fabric for Aleah's placemats and then serge all the napkins, but I spent a good chunk of the morning reading, or was that procrastinating??? I like piecing, sewing and binding, but sometimes getting down to the cutting seems to take me more time than I expect.  The rooster fabric needed to be cut with the scissors because of the way it is laid out on the fabric, and then there are all the strips for binding for the mats.  These are not complicated tasks, but I just did not know how much cutting was involved to get ready for serging the napkins.  I am make 16 or 18 of them since they will be used by all the little grandchildren and probably need to be washed frequently.  I am only making 8-10 placemats, but they will be the first items on the HQ since we set it up here, so I need to do some tinkering and testing before I begin.  They will look wonderful and be useful when they are done. 

Tomorrow we are going to a quilt and fabric sale.  The purpose is to raise funds for the people who suffered losses because of Hurricane Irene.  I do not need any quilts, but I do want to show my support.  Maybe i will find some great fabric to use on a couple of comfort quilts.  The time spent with Kevin is also an added bonus.

Sitting here rambling is not helping me reach my sewing goals for today, but I am trying to keep to at least one post each day Monday through Friday.  (Are some of you laughing and saying p-r-o-c-r-a-s-t-i-n-a-t-o-r????

1 comment:

Castle Family said...

With as much as your son-on-law likes ice cream you might have to have two bowl for him. One at lunch and one in the evening. :-)