Tuesday, October 18, 2011

October 18: Bunny Trails and Two Boxes in the Mail

I was going to work on a small Christmas quilt today but I have been following bunny trails all over the place.  (Distractions for those who never have their minds wander.) 

After my daily devotions time, I decided to do some cleaning(did some but need to do more) and then I saw I just had a bit more to do on a binding, and then I felt possessed about answering a few emails.  That was followed by doing a load of laundry(sheets), considered what to have for supper by standing in the kitchen staring into the freezer(remembered we were having "planned overs"), and then the doorbell rang.

The wonderful mail person brought me two boxes.  I did not open them immediately because I had to put the sheets in the dryer (still are not in the dryer) and then my phone rang.  Had to find the phone which was a wrong number call.  Decided to have lunch and then go back down to put the sheets in the dryer (still not in dryer) but was distracted by the boxes even though I knew their basic contents.  Opened them and then contemplated my next step while doing dishes.  Went to do the sheets (still not in the dryer) and the phone rang again.

This time it was important.  My grandson, Dean, wanted to Skype with me.  Love doing that with all of my grandkids!!!!  We had some linking problems so I answered a few emails while they worked on their end.  Once we were able to chat, we discussed a lot of presidents (He is 3 but he knows all of the presidents and some unique facts about all of them.) Right now he is figuring out which ones have the same birthdays as people he knows.  Two presidents have the same birthday as he does.  We also sang some name songs, talked about some of his drawings, briefly chatted with his little brother, Bryson, and then with his baby sister, Anna.  We checked out a number of great looking recipes in his mom's Taste of Home magazine.  Talked about carnivores, herbivores, and omnivores.  We spent another 10 minutes discussing a book about monkeys that his mom had used for a textbook in one of her classes.  He has taken in a lot of information about monkeys, and his knowledge and ability to share it fascinates me. 

When we finished, I was going to put the sheets in the dryer, but decided to put some eggs on to boil for tomorrow's breakfast before going down.(sheets are still not in the dryer).  Saw the camera and decided I wanted to take a few photos for the blog first and then my daughter chimed in to chat.  Finished chatting about her upcoming move and started this post.   I AM GOING DOWNSTAIRS AND PUT THE SHEETS IN THE DRYER RIGHT NOW!

Okay, the dryer is tumbling and I have refocused.

 






Thought I would share a couple of photos of Aleah's napkins and placemats before boxing them to mail.  The small picture is a pile of all the placemats and napkins. The larger one shows two of the rooster napkins.  Back in August I made a valance for her kitchen using the rooster fabric.



Now for the boxes.  I am making a t-shirt quilt for a friend's daughter.  I drafted several versions of a t-shirt quilt on my EQ and then told her costs and yardage amounts.  She had to pick out the fabrics and send me the t-shirts.  I ordered the fusible woven interface online from Joann Fabrics and purchased the batting in the store.  The boxes both arrived today.  Is that a sign or as my daughter and I decided just a freaky coincidence?  I am going to track my time and experience doing it this way and after I have sent the quilt off finished, I will make more comments.  I am thinking that once I get moved to South Dakota, I will add t-shirt quilts to what I will offer to customers. (Will be opening a quilting service business once we settle permanently in South Dakota.) Therefore, I am going to find out how long one actually takes.  I have made a number of t-shirt and photo quilts, but I have never tracked time. 

About opening a business involving quilting or making quilts, etc:  I am not going to be offering competition show quilting services but rather quilting for the quilts that will be used and washed often.  The plan is to do overall quilting both freehand and panto and then attach binding if requested.  Others love doing all the fancy stuff, but I know there is a niche for me.  Quilts that are loved, cuddled, and used to comfort someone who is sad or sick don't need all kinds of heavy, fancy quilting.  The quilts I am talking about need to be soft, warm, and be made with love by someone who cares about us.  The goal for my quilting will be intended to help pull it all together and add the needed texture.


***Fingers are feeling even better this afternoon.  Even though I have been somewhat distracted, I have been doing the stretching exercises every 30-45 minutes.  Just don't like down time enough to just sit and let it rest.

No comments: