Monday, October 31, 2011

October 29-30: The Weekend

Saturday was very low key.  Kevin worked on some projects at school, and I sewed and sewed and sewed.  Focused on the t-shirt quilt and then figured out some backing requirements.  Finished the day with church, dinner at Chili's and a few errands.  Thought we had them all finished on Friday night, but there is always something.  Kevin and I agreed that if we could eliminate the weekend we could save lots of money!  ;0)

Sunday we woke up to snow or at least the first teaser of the season.  I was afraid it would melt before we were dressed for the outdoors, so I snapped the shot through the kitchen window.  Last year, while living near Minneapolis, MN, we had snow on the ground from October to............ I had to shovel most of the time because Kevin was traveling.  This year we are only responsible for digging out the truck, so..... (Connie, I am not wishing more snow on you.  I know there was a tremendous amount here in Vermont.  However, I do love the look and the promise of my husband to check into buying some snowshoes to use on our walks.)

We were determined to take care of some of those household chores that need two people, and then we planned to go to an arts and craft show in Essex Junction.  Kevin generally makes Sunday breakfast and this was the case this week, too.  While he did that, I tried without success to totally clean the build up of residue on the bottom of my iron.  (More on that in the Week 2 T-shirt Quilt post coming on Friday.)  After finishing up several of our joint chores we did a very quick run to the school to pick up some simple frames Kevin made for my needle punch projects and to bring home the bowl that he had left behind on Saturday.

Kevin has been turning wood for some time.  He said he finds something very satisfying in taking the wood from a plain wooden block to something so unique using only his turning tools.  I feel that his turnings are always something special because I seen the plain, unpolished wood and then the way he has coaxed it to reveal its inner beauty.  I am sharing two different views but can't truly capture all the beauty without actually letting you see and touch it.




After lunch, we headed out to the arts and craft show.  There some wonderful smells and sounds to go along with the two huge rooms of arts and crafts. We purchased 3 items:  This clever bookmark that anchors itself into the book and does not fall out, a CD of Celtic fiddling, and an ice cream cone for my sweetie.   As we walked around we saw lots of different items displaying many different talents, but there were very few quilted items and just as few wooden items.  I do not think it was a price thing because there were many expensive items for sale.  Wonder what kind of venue would work to advertise and sell Kevin's woodworking pieces?

On the drive home we took a few photos.  These were taken on a road we have walked on near our apartment, and YES that is snow on the mountains.  The snow in our yard was gone long before we headed out the door.  Love the contrasts of the green grasses and the snow capped peaks.






1 comment:

Liz said...

Beautiful pictures!