Wednesday, October 19, 2011

October 19: The Nose Knows

If you have always had a garbage disposal or have no sense of smell, this post probably does not mean much to you.  However, I smell everything and have no disposal in this apartment.  My husband has a weak sense of smell, but he has to put up with my sniffing and whining about smells.  When we first arrived in Vermont I found it very irritating and was very vocal about the smells created by putting the stinky little leftover bits into the regular garbage trash.  We are very good at recycling most things so it takes a week to get about 1/2 a bag of kitchen trash.  I even discussed it at dinner with friends when I spotted the fact that they did not have a disposal either. (Wonder if they thought I was rude?) They offered a solution but I did not take them up on bringing my slop bucket to their compost bin --- I would have had to retain the stuff for a while to accumulate enough to justify the task of having Kevin take it to school and empty it in their compost (Connie and Bob live right there).

This 1.5 gallon trash can has a bread sack size
liner.  I just dump the strainer and any other
cuttings into the can and twice a week I whine
 until it magically disappears. 
YES, I am the Queen!
This little strainer catches all the GUCK!
While we were in Woodstock, VT for the wood show a few weeks ago, we hit on a possible solution that could be working for us.  Don't get me wrong, I am all for the composting stuff, but I will wait until we have a garden.  The photos tell the story.  So far I will admit that it has been a real blessing for my nose and Kevin's ears.

No comments: