Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Spetember 14: Tibits of Knowledge or I Learned Something

The best laid plans and theories don't always work out how I plan.  I did use the #19 stitch, a small circle, on the backpack picnic quilt instead of tying, so the issue of lumps is non-existent.  However, the circles are not all circles and I am thinking it has something to do with the weight of the overall quilt, the pull on the fabric, and the density of the different t-shirts and iron-on interfacing.  After trying to remove the stitching on the first circle, I just decided to experiment and see how things went.  After all, this is not a show quilt or a cuddle quilt.  It is for plopping down on when we are on a hike.  Almost certain this one could be entered into one of those "ugly quilt" contests and win, but it will be part of our memories of Vermont.  Maybe a photo will be shared once the binding is stitched down, but you may just see glimpses as we travel about.

Other bits of knowledge gained from today's sewing --- I always count my safety pins when I baste.  Today I dropped a couple and knew they were missing.  Unfortunately as I looked for them my stocking feet were first to find them.  (I also leave my safety pins open to make pinning quicker.)  Get the idea?  I knew I was looking for two pins and found them both at the same time. Ouch.  What did I learn from this besides knowing just how many pins were missing?  Well, Jamie already guessed.  I should be wearing shoes in my studio.

Finally, I think I have learned to plan more than I can finish but not more than I can complete in a couple of days.  These little quilts are quick, but not as quick as I thought.  Maybe that is because---- I took time out to make a valance for the bathroom window---- or time to sit out in the sun---- or to blog and read blogs, but I am doing this my way and loving it.

I have completed one of the two little comfort quilt tops but Kevin has the camera.  I am off to the studio to finish binding the picnic quilt and to work on the second little quilt.  I have about two hours before I have a date with Kevin, so I best be moving.

No comments: