Wednesday, September 14, 2011

September 14: A Visit to Kevin's Workbench

As always, when I ask Kevin for something he delivers.  Here are a few photos from his workbench.  I asked him to write the captions to explain things.  I am fascinated by all of this, but I will probably stick with quilting.



These are rough turned legs for a box I have started to build. They are made
 of walnut, but you can see some light colored wood segments inserted into the walnut.
  The legs will be placed on a square cornered box.  The top and bottom
 few inches will be cut off prior to putting them on the box.  I had to cut
 a square slot in the side of the wood before I turned it round on the lathe, but to
 prevent the side from tearing out, had to place a piece of soft wood prior to
 turning it. This will be chisled out as the project is finished.  You can expect
 future photos of the box as it is completed.


This is the first of two photos.  This week's classes have invloved
 making hand cut joinery with saws, chisles, marking tools and
 good old fashioned pencils.  This photo shows a tenon and  mortise
 joint on the top and a saddle joint in the lower which have been cut.

And here are the joints put together.  I have used table saws and bench
 top mortisers (power tools), which are certainly easier, but I certainly
 learned a lot doing them by hand. 


This is a chisel mallet which I turned on the lathe.  Works
 better on striking chisels than using a regular hammer.