Thursday, September 29, 2011

September 29: My Mission for October

Some of you know that I inspired my father-in-law to do machine embroidery as a new hobby to help him keep himself busy and doing.  (He is a woodworker and loves working in his woodshop, but his legs don't let him spend as much time out there as he did previously.)   He bought his own machine over a year ago and has been more than prolific with his stitching. I refer to him as my very own Energizer Rabbit. 

Because I have been busy with other kinds of  quilting, moving, life transitions and many other excuses, I have let the block sets build up.  Another part of it has been that I have not really known what to do with some of the sets.  Therefore, besides working on Aleah's place mats and napkins, I am dedicating my daytime sewing until the end of  October to turning the blocks into quilts. Bindings will be done in the evening and on the road.  Many will simply be alternating blocks, but a couple will require more unique settings.  Most will also be baby, small wall or lap quilts but a few will probably be twin or full size.  Some will have sleeves for hanging and other won't.  There are also about 8 table runners cut out and ready to sew.

I don't want anything to outshine the quilted blocks because I know how much effort and time he has put into stitching them out.  (He learned his colors when there were very few in the box.  Now he is having to figure out sage, avocado, teal, and sandstone.)  When the quilts are finished I will mail them to him for his church's fall bazaar.

I love the bird houses but could not think of a setting.  Decided that I would simply set these with green, add a border and bind with the same green.  It is 36 x 48.  I am adding a sleeve to the back.  buying a wooden dowel, and attaching the dowel ends to little wooden birdhouses.  Should be just the right touch.

My cold now has a wicked cough and hoarseness that I hate, but otherwise think I am getting better.  I have plans to stitch up another lighthouse quilt this afternoon, and hopefully I will get a woodland animals one cut out some time today.  Of course, there is a chance that my new friend Sandi will brave this house of germs and come by for a visit this afternoon.  She has been warned about the nasty colds. However, if she comes I will be more than happy to visit.  I am always willing to sit and do some hand stitching when another quilter comes to call.  I will also remember to offer her refreshments, unlike last time.

Hope to find some time this evening to do some hand piecing on my Mystic Blues quilt.  I have about half of the blue border in place and am hoping to finish that border to night or tomorrow night.  Obviously, I am focused because I barely hear my next book calling.

No comments: