Monday, September 26, 2011

September 25: Beyond the Show

Kevin and the other students spent most of the weekend in the booth or wandering the show talking to various woodworkers.  It was a great learning experience.  I, also, talked with a number of the vendors and found myself thinking about what will be the next step in this new journey of ours.  I do not intend to become a woodworker, and many of my family are probably thinking that since I am a bit accident-prone it is best that I don't want to constantly play with the power tools and sharp edges.  I know how they all work and have used some, but I am content with my own quilting tools (Some of them are sharp, too!)

While Kevin was pondering all kinds of new thoughts about opening a woodworking business, I was considering where I want to take my quilting efforts.  I do a number of comfort quilts that are donated to various people or causes and I make quilts for many babies and family.  At times I have also done quilting for others, but what do I want to do with what I know and what do I want to focus on while we are in Vermont.  Those are the probing questions for me.


I took my laptop and my travel quilt blocks to work on when I was at the show.  I created a new design on the EQ6 and finished the last of the blocks needed to start attaching the borders to my "Mystic Blues" quilt.  Then I started making a list of things that I want to do and learn about quilting in the next 6 months.  The list overwhelmed me, so I tucked it away and decided that I would think about it tomorrow.  (Yes, sometimes I feel just like Scarlett!)


No comments: