Tuesday, September 20, 2011

September 20: Rainy with 100% Chance of Stitching

I did not know that it rained as much as it does in Vermont.  Maybe this is a freak year, but I think I am starting to get used to the sound of rain on the tin roof.  Can't see the mountains today, but I am going to be focused in the studio, anyway, so it does not really matter.

I am heading in to do just a little more tweaking of the digitized logo and then I am going to stitch out two shirts.  If all goes well, I will be making a few more this week, but not today. 

After I stitch the shirts I am going to work on a ragged birthday quilt.  I am thinking that is is one of those times when an Accu-cutter would be nice, but I cut the denim several years ago and will just do the snipping by hand.  I remember doing a row at a time and snipping the joined edges before sewing the rows together.  Saved on the hand, so that is how I am going to do it again this time.  It is a twin-size, so I am thinking that it will be finished in plenty of time even if I do only a few rows every few days.  ***Sandi, I can do the cutting when you are here to visit again.  Just like you, I like to keep my hands busy.

Once the HQ is operational I really have to get cracking on a couple of waiting projects, but I am going to vary my stitching with some work on the serger while I wait.  I have napkins planned and might try a lap quilt with it, as well.  Saw that someone alternated brights and denim to make a fun kid quilt and when they were done serging, they were actually done with the quilt as well.  I am going to use leftover batting that is cut just a little smaller than the denim and cotton.  I will sew an "X' across the sqaures before serging just so the batting stays in place.  Depending on how the number of pre-cut denim squares hold up and how the process goes, I will probably make more than one lap quilt.  Once the denim is gone, I will have another empty container.  ***** If the first serged one does not work out, I am going to either offer up the squares to others or just get rid of them because it is time to use them or lose them!!!

Aleah, your chicken placemats are the first items on the agenda once the HQ is operational.

2 comments:

grandmatomato said...

If the quilt does not work out try some place mats. All denim or every other square denim and fabric the other square. We have used are plaemats for years. I em enjoying reading your updates.

Robin said...

I am in need of placements. We use them at every meal along with cloth napkins. Had to retire the ones my sister Pam gave us for a weddding gift 35+ years ago, so I will add denim placemats to my list. Thanks for the thought.