Thursday, September 8, 2011

September 8: Too Much Phone Time. Not Enough Sewing Time

I spent a good share of the morning and part of the afternoon trying to get all the change of address notifications and other paperwork finished.  Some parts were easy because I could do them online, but others had more complicated questions to go along with them.  All of our insurances are with two companies, but the pontoon stayed in Minnesota, my car is in storage in Iowa, and we have "stuff" in storage in 4 states.  We also have the truck and trailer here in Vermont.  In the end, we are saving a good chunk of money, but it did take a long time for all of us to get things figured out.  Fortunately, the two women I worked with were as patient as could be.

Next I dealt with the banking "stuff" which is more complicated this time because of the way that Kevin will be paid from this point forward.  Remember that we are living in northern Vermont where there are many small towns but not necessarily many banks and credit unions.  I searched of something that would be compatible with or at least in the same network as our current credit union( that we have had for 30 years) so that we could keep it and then just open a small account here.  That took some doing, but even that is worked out, now.

Have not located a doctor, dentist, or barber, but Kevin is thinking he will try the barber next to our little post office.  There a doctor's office across the street, but we have to have one in our health system and that is still something we are trying to contact. It would be great to just have to walk to the doctor.  Who knows about the dentist?????  These are always the worst parts of our constant moving - hair salon has been the absolute hardest  in the past but I am not coloring or cutting my hair in the foreseeable future, so.................

As for my efforts in the studio, I did finish my little picnic quilt top.  It is nothing special but we will be able to sit side-by-side and enjoy  quick bite to eat when we are out on the walking trails, etc.  I decided that it does need to be washable, so instead of putting the leftover piece of upholstery on the back and maybe tying it, I am going to use some leftover foliage fabric and use stitch 19, a small circle stitch, in the middle of each of the 120 squares. Then I will bind it with the leftover bits and pieces of binding that I tucked away for this move.


Kevin said he had time tonight to put together my HQ so I am taking full advantage of it.  He noted that he could have done it much faster if he had brought his other tools, but he is always such a sweetheart.  I am guessing it is an all evening project.  I am writing the blog as he tightens bolts.  As he has needed my help, I have gone back and forth to do my part.  Thought this photo would show you just how much room will be taken up by the frame. He was a bit concerned that the poles on the table would stick out too far, but the plan is working.  This is a very good thing because I have some big plans for quilts - including Amanda and Kyle's wedding quilt.

This is a sight that I expect to see often as Kevin works diligently on his designs.  He was busy drawing his first small projects for his design class.  Tomorrow he will do the first hands-on work - turning the legs.  He bought a rough cut piece of walnut that measures 8quarters or for those you do not understand this measurement it is 2" thick, 8" wide and 6' long, and he will also purchase 2 other types as well for the first project.  This is not the wood you buy at a big box store.  This is not what you consider mass produced lumber or furnishings.  This will be a piece of fine woodworking and be one of a kind.  It will take time and talent to get it just right for his project.  I think he is really looking forward to all the touchy-feeling aspects of getting the wood ready and then taking his idea and actually creating a fine woodworking piece.  He is tired at the end of each day, but I think it is because he is trying to absorb so much and make this time be a total learning experience.

No comments: