Tuesday, September 27, 2011

September 27: Can't Sleep so............Rag Quilt Thoughts

 Just a few last thoughts on the rag quilt.  Although I have been referring to this as a quilt it isn't technically one because there is no third layer, as in batting.  I have two other rag "quilts" that I have done this way and know that with the denim and flannel there is really no need to add the batting.  You still don't get to see the front view of the birthday quilt, but this is the back.  All the fabrics on the back are denim.  The front is both denim and flannel.  Thought I would have some leftovers for another quilt or place mats, but I somehow forgot just how many squares were needed for the back.



The container has the snippets that I pulled by hand from the dryer and the the dryer screen.  I cleaned the vent out with the vacuum and got at least that much again with the suction.  Before the quilt went into the dryer, I shook it repeatedly so the front yard has quite a bit of the snippets as well.  Last time I make one of these quilts I washed it right away and then dried it.  What I did today is more sensible.  If you do wash yours first, I suggest that you put a nylon over the drain hose and empty it whenever the machine finishes draining.  That is a lot of fabric bits that could potentially clog a drain.

When you start snipping the edges of the blocks be cautious and do not snip the seams.  This is not a quilt that could take the wear and tear if the seams are cut.  Besides, personal experience on my other two quilts showed me that it was difficult to get my sewing foot back in the same place to restitch the seam. 

One last suggestion, if you do not have an Accu Cut, I recommend that you invest in these scissors by Fons and Porter.  They were created specifically for rag quilts and do help save your hand from full blown blisters.  I have tried the regular scissors, too, so it is experience talking.

No comments: