Monday, February 20, 2012

February 20: Quilter vs Non-Quilter

I have a very good friend who spent some time laughing at me yesterday, and I decided that I would take some time to share what was going on.  Connie has made at least a few quilts but is not a quilter by her own admission.  This is the first time she has ever been over, so I gave her the grand 2 minute tour of the apartment.  She made the appropriate comments about it being homey or comfortable or something on that order.  Then we went into my studio.  She started with a gasp and a chuckle.  Then she said, "Bob has to see this."  When asked about it she kind of rolled her eyes.

We sat in the kitchen and had some tea.  We talked about lots of things, but the part I am sharing is her reaction to the amount of fabric I have.  I will say that there is a large amount, but it is neatly organized by color in totes.  I work from my stash more often than not, so a large stash is expected in my mind.  I do not think she understood.  I wanted to shout, "I AM NOT A HOARDER!" but was afraid she would roll on the floor laughing at me.  I never real have done anything in a small way, so I guess that when I am following my passion I don't really see things like someone who is not passionate about the same things.  When I taught I had lots of teaching materials and I used them all.  The carving tools I have purchased have all been used numerous times and I am just learning - no investments planned in the near future - more learning first.  BUT................................... my stash is something only another quilter could understand and appreciate. 

Do you ever feel you need to defend your fabric?

3 comments:

Castle Family said...

This is SO FUNNY because we are alike. I was actually watching Hoarders last night while in my sewing room and I was turning everything off for the night I looked at the space and thought... "I bet if a stranger came in here they would think I am a Hoarder. but everything has a purpose."

Needles, Fabric, Chisels, and Wood…Life is GOOD! said...

Thanks for making me feel better (laughter is still happening), but since you are my daughter, is it something that comes in the genes?

Liz said...

Thanks to both of you for passing on the love and appreciation for fabric. I finally have enough now that I cannot put off figuring out how I want to organize it before it gets too out of control. Dave thanks you, too, I am sure - but not as sincerely as I am :)