Monday, February 13, 2012

February 13: Still Basting and Piecing

Before the morning is over and I allow myself to sit down for lunch, I WILL finish basting this twin-size quilt.  I don't baste much of anything because I use my HQ for almost every quilt, so I am a bit surprised at how long it is taking.  When I use my domestic I pin.  I am doing this for the experience and to build up my skills. There is another part of me that is just looking forward to the whole idea of completely hand stitching the whole quilt.  The process is so much different that machine piecing and longarming.   I also have another larger quilt that I did both hand applique and machine piecing and really want to hand quilt if I can get through this other one without tearing out my stitches over and over again. 
I went to a quilt show, this Fall, where a lady was quilting on a floor frame made of pvc pipes with adjustable legs.  I spent some time talking to her and observing.  A month ago, I was in Joann's and asked if I could use my 50% off coupon on this frame.  The rest is history.  For about $50 I am going to see exactly what I can do.  Then when it is time to move, I will break down the frame and put in back in its cardboard box for moving. 
However, in the meantime, I do have a HeartStrings comfort quilt to be quilted and bound this week and the wedding quilt that will be loaded in the frame no later than Sunday.  Should be a very busy and hopefully very productive week.

No comments: