Saturday, August 6, 2011

August 6: Diversity of Activities

For once let me share my quilting activity for today.  I have been working on a hand-pieced quilt top that I started back before I knew much about quilting and seams and .............. I decided that I would make this a quilt that is more about comfort than accuracy because I would have had to rip everything out and I am not willing.  The center of the blocks are very accurate, but when I added on the bias-edged triangles I really did not have a real clue about the stretch factor.  Even so, using what I do know about adding borders, I have been able to make all the blocks the same size.  I don't think this quilt was ever going to be anything but an experiment in hand quilt which is good because I will always be able to claim that it was an early experiment in the hand quilting saga.  I have taken up a corner on Dad's couch and simply do a little bit of piecing throughout the day.  Obviously, I am not willing to reveal all the errors yet, but I am enjoying the peace and calm I get from handling fabric.

                             ******************************************





I started off the morning by reading a wonderful, thought provoking book by Mitch Albom.  I have read several others and am always intrigued by the choice of subject matter.



While I was reading the guys worked on installing the Styrofoam insulation.  This work was made easier by my suggestion that they use an electric carving knife to cut the pieces.  We knew it worked on foam rubber, but since Dad had a knife, we decide

d they should at least try it.  There was very little to clean up except when they made a couple of pieces too large.

Then the guys worked through the morning to put up the sheet rock.  It did not need to be mudded because it was going behind the bead board, or
maybe some of you would call it car moulding.  Later, I drilled pilot holes in the bead board while they glued and nailed.  We did not finish today, but tomorrow should wrap it up, except of the clear coat sealant.  We decided we had worked hard enough for a weekend day and went out for dinner to relax. 

All in all, a great day!!

No comments: