Wednesday, August 24, 2011

August 22: On the Road Again (FInally able to post the photos!)

We woke up and packed up the truck and headed out once again.  This is the last leg of our trip to Vermont.  The next few days will involve spending time together, visiting quilt stores, tired back sides, and seeing lots of scenery.  We are having such a wonderful adventure!

I took a few photos today that are specifically for my children.  Sometimes when I needed a break I would just tell them that their mom had gone to Toledo.  Today, as we passed through Toledo, I had to snap a photo. 

We did not find any quilt shops that were open until we were half way across Ohio.  I guess that if we would have slept in or stayed around and bugged Debbie longer we could have found a few, but when you gotta go, you got to go!  We loved the visit, but our new adventures were calling.

We crossed a bridge after Toledo.  I did not note the name of the river, but I loved the bridge. so I took a photo to share.


Again, I have a photo of the sky.  I am a cloud watcher and saw lots of different shapes in the clouds today, but I really liked the look of this part of the sky.  Maybe I should have added in blue to my fat quarter collecting.  Debbie thought I should from the start, but I am still going to stick with the greens and creams.



Our first quilt shop of the day was Quilts and Kreations in South Amherst, OH.  We were happy to see the large parking lot right next to the shop because it meant that we did not have struggle with finding a place for the dragon and her trailer to fit.  The shop itself had several rooms with all kinds of quilter's eye candy.  The flannels were plentiful and exceptional, so Deb looks like I have found another place for you to check out online.  Dad would have love all the embroidery designs, as well.
This shot is not great but it is my first one of Lake Erie.
Quilts and So Forth in Mentor, OH, was our second shop. At first we thought it was not in operation any more, but I called and found that they had simply moved down the street a couple of blocks.  Sure am glad I made the call. It was a gorgeous shop with a delightful staff and friendly customers. When we shared that Kevin was going to go to a woodworking school, they volunteered several wood projects that they thought could make him a lot of money in the quilting world.  One lady tried very hard to get Kevin interested in a specific design idea and even drew it out for him.  Another lady wanted his business card.  While he was busy, I had a lot of time to check out all the quilts displayed and to really look through the bolts of fabric.  This shop will probably see us again when we travel back to South Dakota.
We tried to stop in Madison, OH, at the Cottonpicker's Quilt Shop, but it had moved about 20 minutes away from this location and would have had us traveling back in the direction we had been.  We decided to continue on instead and travelled into Pennsylvania.

Having been forewarned by the owner of the Cottonpicker's, we called ahead and got the new address for Millcreek Sewing and Fabric in Erie, PA.  It was a bright, cheerful shop with a helpful staff.  Our only problem was parking, but we solved it by parking in a nearby lot and walking.  Felt good to stretch the legs. 
The added bonus was that we actually found a free-standing Chick-a-fil and had an early dinner.  For those that do not know me well, this is one of my favor guilty pleasures.  Rebecca has been trying to entice me to move back to Tennessee by telling me about a new one in Millington.  (Sorry Rebecca!)



As we left our short time in Pennsylvania, we simply enjoyed our audio book and the scenery.  As we neared Buffalo, NY, we could see mountains in the distance.  I am going to take time to look at the maps soon to decide which mountains are which.  Another sight that was repeated often were all the vineyards.  We do love a good bottle of wine, but decided to continue on and explore that kind of thing next month. 
Besides it was after 6:00 and we were hoping for an early stop.  I had a TREMENDOUS headache by the time we did land just outside Buffalo.

No comments: