Tuesday, August 9, 2011

August 9: Sioux Falls to Minneapolis

For anyone that is confused about us being back in Minneapolis, we are here for my FIL's follow-up appointment after his ear surgery on the 18th.  What we are hoping to hear is that all is healing well and that in the very near future he will be able to get a much needed hearing aid.  As far as life goes, we always hope for the very best.  Time will tell!

This is the quilt that I am referring to as my fabric therapy.  It is called Mystic Blues and is a pre-cut block of the month put out by Joann's years ago.  I probably would have finished it a long time ago, but I was one sashing strip short and have been searching for a blue that would work.  I am hand piecing and then plan to hand quilt it to practice.  There are still several other borders, but it is looking pretty good considering that all bias edges on the white triangles seemed to have stretched because I was too cocky to pin when I did that part several years ago.  Imagine at some point I will know exactly what problems that has created, but this is supposed to be a comforting therapy for me, so I do not really care.

As we traveled from Sioux Falls, SD, to Minneapolis, MN, we took the time to stop at several quilt shops in Minnesota.  Probably could have taken in a few shops in Sioux Falls, but decided my FIL was a little to anxious about getting to Minneapolis, and I have been to all those shops several times each over the last few years.

Our first stop was at the Sewing Basket in Luverne, MN.  The shop was not large, but it had a number of beautiful fabrics and nice displays.  The shop assistants were also friendly and helpful.  I broke my own rule again and purchased a pattern for making purse handles.  I am pretty certain that this will be used a number of times.

The second stop was at the Crafty Corner Quilting and Sewing Shoppe.  There were so many displays to check out.  Just like all the shops we have visited, there were helpful shop assistants and more things to buy than I was willing to consider.  I did make a another purchase - a tool to help me with my hand quilting.  I have been told it will be helpful.  I will test it out once we are in Vermont.


The third place we stopped is one that I have thought about finding for the last three years as we have driven back and forth from Minneapolis to Sioux Falls.  It is called  the Old Alley Quilt Shop.  This one was worth finding.  I did follow my rule and just bought one fat quarter, but I could easily have spent much more.  Because the Minnesota State Shop Hop is going on, this shop had run out of business cards so they gave me an old newsletter so I could label their fat quarter.

We did try to stop at the Cotton Patch in Owatonna, MN, but it had actually closed.  Even though we did not find the quilt shop, we enjoyed seeing this charming little town.

These are the fat quarters I purchased today.  Think I will aim for light colors tomorrow, but time will tell.

1 comment:

Castle Family said...

Love the quilt mom! Jealous of all the quilt shops you get to go to. :-)