Monday, August 1, 2011

August 1st - Rapid City, SD

If we are moving to Vermont, how did we end up going the wrong direction?  We are going to do some visiting before we move so far from family for the next year.  Expect to hit  a number of quilt shops as we travel from here to the east.  I have my travel companion to help me locate shops.

I had a glorious photo of our last sunset in Minnesota, but our wireless laptops are of no use here, and Dad's computer is so old it is hard to even type, so downloading is not going to happen.  Might have to make a collage when I am able to post from my own computer.  Figured out how to get this one downloaded, so here it is.  We were driving across the southern part of the state on I-90 looking out onto fields.  May not be glorious to you but it spoke to me of ending one kind of life and resting before starting our new adventures.



The transition from Navy to almost civilian life has been harried and exhausting, but that was just because we were in the throes of packing, cleaning, and packing the truck as well as Dad's car.  (The Navy has been a glorious adventure for us, but we are ready for our new chapters!)  The truck and trailer are in Iowa waiting for us to show up on the 10th or 11th.  We left a couple of important items there but have been able to find some suitable substitutes for the next couple of weeks.  Last night after arriving in Rapid, we finally felt we could sleep in without having the alarm go off at 5:30.  Of course conditioning caused us to wake up, but I fought the good fight and went back to sleep until 7:00.

At 8:30 the plumbers showed up to jack hammer and repair the leak in Dad's basement floor, but these guys were great and finished the job in one day rather than in the 3 days they had allotted.  We had all suspected what the fix would be, and we were right.  This fix has been a long time coming so we are all  celebrating!!!!

Tomorrow we are going to Sturgis and Spearfish for several reasons.  The first is to visit the national cemetery where my mother-in-law is buried.  We try to do that every visit.  I will take some photos there, but they will have to wait for the collage, too.  It is a very peaceful, respectful place with some tremendous views. 

The rest of tomorrow's adventure will be to two quilt shops that I have never visited.  We are combining these adventures because we don't want to actually be in Sturgis when the Bike Rally starts on Monday.  Later in the week, Kevin and I are hoping to head south to take in 3 or 4 other shops, and at some point we will also go to the 2 shops here in Rapid.  I am not on a buying spree - JUST  WANT TO SEE WHAT IS OUT THERE.

No comments: