Wednesday, August 24, 2011

August 23: New York to Vermont (Not the Plan but....)

We traveled the New York toll road for most of the time we were in the state.  The only problem with that was making certain that we had enough change to do the job.  The drive was smooth and everything was fine on the toll road.  The reason that we did not stop in New York for the night was simply that we could not find any hotel that had space available.  Not a big deal, but I did plan to catch up on my blogging last night.  As it was we ended up arriving in South Burlington, VT, around 8:30 ET.  By then I was too tired to do all the photos, etc. 

We did a good bit of driving before we arrived at our first quilt shop.  I still have not taken time to figure out which mountains are which, but I will research it tomorrow and clarify for all those who have never been in this part of the country.  Sorry to those who are better informed that I am.

The Ivy Thimble  Quilt and Gift Shop in Victor, NY, was a very charming shop both inside and out.  The building is an old train depot. Part of my fascination with this shop was probably that my Grandma worked in the train depot in Sioux Falls, SD.  This stop was one that was truly a treat for the eyes.


The next shop was in Savanah, NY.  Once again we decided to go off road.  The trip was 50 miles round trip.  We had the time, so we simply enjoyed what was offered.  The drive was beautiful but the roads were narrow.  Springdale Market and Fabric shop carried a variety of things, not just quilting frabric.  If I had a place to store it, I would definitely have purchased some of the fruilt.

Our third shop was Calico Gals in Syracuse, NY.  This shop had lots of character.  There were lots of things to see, but my favorite thing about the inside of the shop was the wooden rail balcony that was draped with a number of gorgeous quilts.  This shop also had the purse pattern I have been searching for since Sharon made my purse.  Thank you for making us feel welcome.


Our last quilt shop of the day was the Tiger Lily Quilt Co in Utica, NY.  As in most quilt shops there were a number of beautiful quilts and fabrics.  It also has some fun gifts for quilters.


Fat Quarters selected during our visits, today
The rest of the photos are scenes from our travel.  If you have not figured it out yet, you can click on the photos to enlarge the photos.  Enjoy.





Erie Canal from the car





No comments: