Saturday, August 20, 2011

August 19: Reached Our Michigan Destination - Waterford

We slept in Michigan City, IN. and then headed out to explore 5 shops as we traveled to Waterford, MI, to visit my sister and her family.  We did think it was going to be a rainy day, but it was a gloriously sunny day with talking, listening to our audio book, and enjoying being together. (I did not download my photos and such last night so the date stamp is off by a day.)

Our first stop was in Kalamazoo, MI.  The Quilter's Travel Companion listed 3 shops, and our GPS struggled to try and get us to the last one but it could not figure out how. -- The on-ramps to I-94 were closed but our "lady" refused to let us try anything else.  =0)

The Viking Sewing Center was a nice shop, but it was all about machines and embroidery.  Dad would have been hard pressed not to purchase software.  I saw two that I really considered, but fortunately for my travel space, they did not have them in stock.  Last year, they changed over and stopped selling fabric.  So, I did not purchase a fat quarter.  However, right next door was a fabric shop with lots of quilt shop quality fabrics, quilting books and supplies, and lots of other fabrics.  It was called Field's Fabric.   
The Bernina Sewing Center and Quilt Shop was one of those shops where I could have blown the budget in, but we talked about all the projects that I had already planned and I stuck to my single fat quarter purchase.  The place had lots of different jackets, quilts, and embroidery pieces hanging around the shop.  Would love to make a jacket, but it is not in my time schedule for this coming year.


The Sew Unique Threads in Battle Creek, MI. had beautiful contemporary fabric that I am certain Jamie would have loved to purchase. I also think that Liz could make a day trip to see this one and several others in the area.




Quilt N Go in East Leroy, MI,  was a place I selected because we could not seem to get to the one in Kalamazoo.   The drive there was once more not within the distance guidelines.  The roads were very narrow and rough, but my sweet husband fought the good fight and got us to our destination.  Road would not have been a real issue if we were not driving the dragon and pulling a 6x10 trailer.  (No dirt roads like the one in Iowa, but there were a number of big ruts!!)  The shop was definitely worth the trip.  It was a very pleasant place with several charming women there to assist us.  I tried to convince Kevin that I should buy more just because of the drive, but he just laughed.  Liz. you would find lots of things to purchase at this one and it is actually pretty close to the Sew Unique Threads.

Quilts at the Marshall House in Marshall, MI, did not draw us in from the outside.  We were thinking it was going to be more of an antique shop with some quilts, but this place is truly a diamond in the rough.  Once we entered I was in quilter's heaven.  There was room after room of fabric, quilts, patterns, quilter's tools, and antique sewing things.  Upstairs Kevin found lots of antiques, but I was focused on the quilting things.

The last quilt shop was Country Stitches in Jackson, MI.  This was a bright, open shop with several rooms of quilts and fabric.  This is the only place where I purchased something besides the fat quarter.  I bought some quilting finger tips.  Don't know if I will love them, but I am going to do some machine quilting on my domestic while in Vermont, so I thought I would try them.

I ended up taking 2 photos of the fabric because I was so busy chatting with my sister that I missed one.  Love how the colors are working together.  Not perfect but I am impressed that my head remembers what ones I have purchased.  I have purchased 30 fat quarters and have no duplicates, yet.

      
*****************************************************************
Arrived at Dick and Debbie's just before supper.  We went to the Lion's Den for dinner.  Ben and Jill met us and we enjoyed a very pleasant meal with wonderful conversation.  When we got back home we visited a little more and then Ben and Jill left.  The 4 of us had a rousing game of Chickenfoot dominoes even though Debbie kept trying to modify the rules in her favor.

Debbie has some fun pictures and knick-knacks.  These are two that I really like.  I am not really a country style person but I do love the patriotic theme. She is not certain where she found them, but they are ones that I would love to have.  - She just said I could have them.  I am going to take her up on it if they will fit in the truck.  Yoohoo! 

1 comment:

Castle Family said...

I have some antique pearl buttons that need a use if you want to take a closer picture of the top one and maybe I can make you one..... Then Debbie can keep hers. :-)