Tuesday, August 16, 2011

August 15: Quilt Shops, Football, Wagon Ride, and MORE Ice Cream


Zoe and Henry went to the sitter's this morning because they missed her after being gone for a week.  Therefore, Kevin and I had a full day to visit quilt shops.  Some of the shops have been favorites for years and others were first timers.

The Moose Patch is in Waverly, IA, and has long been a favorite for Jamie and me.  Today, Kevin and I fell in love with the quilt in the window, so I also had to purchase the book.  I still want to monitor the size and and quantity of my purchases. but I am willing to buy if something really appeals.


Our second stop was in Olewin, IA, at Lou Ann's Quilt Garden and Retreat.  Our conversation with the owner was enjoyable. The shop was charming and had lots of variety.  Again, I purchased more than the fat quarter.  I bought the "Labyrinth" pattern with  thought of making it Amanda and Kyle's wedding quilt.  The t-shirt just seemed to say it all.  I love quilting, if you had not guessed.

We drove to Jesup, IA, to go to Merry's Stitchin, but I forgot to check if its hours.  It is not open on Mondays.  Wanted to include it even though we were not inside, I have been there before and made the trip because of it.  It is a great shop with lots to see.   City people would not necessarily  love driving down the gravel roads but it truly make me smile thinking about how uncountry I am even if I was raised in South Dakota, which most people believe must be all farms and ranches.


We  originally were going to  head back to Cedar Falls/Waterloo at this point, but decided we still had enough time to go to several other shops. The shop is located in Independence, IA., and called the Vineyard Gift & Quilt Shoppe.  This is a charming little shop with a tin ceiling and lots of old building charm. We did a good job of stayed on our plan, but there were a number of cool fabrics and kits that could easily have gone home with me. 

There were actually two quilt shops in Independence.  The second one was also in an older building.  It was a much bigger shop with many more bolts of fabric.  It was very enjoyable visiting with the owner.  She had a quilt hanging on the wall that she designed for a Super Bowl sewing day  She was not able to locate the directions, but she told me that it would be fine for me to create my own along the same lines.  It would be a great way to use up lots of scraps.

From Independence, we drove back to Cedar Falls/Waterloo.  Once were back, westill  had about 90 minutes before we were supposed to pick up the grandkids.  We ran two quick errands and then did two more shops.

 The "Crazy to Quilt Shop" in Cedar Falls, IA, has had many visit from me over the years.  Jamie and I always stop in at least once a visit, unless we are in town for only a day.  The women who work there are friendly and they always say such sweet things about my daughter and my grandchildren.  (That is always a way to earn points with me!) 

The other shop we visited was more of an embroidery/machine shop.  We visited CF Sewing Center once before and decided to go back and see what it had to offer this time.  They have lots of different threads and designs, as well as machines.  Although they did not have Berninas, I think Jamie will be able to get some assistance with the embroidery machine questions she might have.  I even found a fat quarter that fit with my green scheme.

I have 6 new fat quarters to add to my green/tan stash.  Things are looking up.

*******************************
Once we finished the shops and picked up the grandchildren, it was time for playing in the yard, dinner, a friendly game of football with Zoe rules, and a long walk to the Dairy Queen for ice cream.  Henry and my husband truly share their pure joy of ice cream.  My son-in-law is no slouch in that area either.  When we got back to the house we finished coloring our puzzle pieces for this large Lightning McQueen puzzle.  Everyone, including Henry got into the act. 

1 comment:

horseridesnetus said...

It is always nice to see a child pull a Radio Flyer classical red wagon. For the last century, this company has grown so much and now it has become the American icon.

Bryce Canyon Wagon Ride