Thursday, August 18, 2011

August 18: Up and Running

The truck dealer ran the truck through the diagnostics and found out that there were a number of low voltage messages, but the check engine light is out again and all is right with the world.  He said that the problem was probably caused by the fact that we did not unplug the trailer lights during the 2+ weeks we we traveling in the car.  The lights were not on, but they were drawing power anyway.  Guess we are better safe than sorry.  Maybe God just wanted us to take a long sleep before heading out on this leg of the journey.

Our goal for today was to travel about 300 miles + miles traveled quilt shops that were within a few miles of whatever interstate we were traveling.  We managed to stop at 5 shops, but we should not have gone to one shop if we followed our own guidelines.    Even so, we had a wonderful time and saw a little bit more of Illinois that way.


 For our first stop, we stopped in North Liberty, IA at the Common Threads Quilt Shoppe.  Although it was not right off I-80 it really was convenient to travel there.  Parking the truck and trailer was the challenge.  This was a cute little small town shop with a friendly owner.  I bought my fat quarter and then found a simple little paper piecing pattern that I am going to make up as a comfort quilt -- I will be enlarging it to a 54x72 to give to someone in need of a little special love and comforting.


The second stop was in Le Claire, IA.  It is a charming riverfront town, and I managed to find a few interesting photos of things that are not about quilts.  There were a number of gorgeous older homes, but I selected only one.  There were also some flowers that I had seen all over in Iowa and wanted someone to tell me what they are.  I believe they are some kind of lily, but......



The quilt shop in Le Claire was bright and inviting.  There was a lot to see, as well.  After picking my fat quarter, I found some fabric that I had really wanted to use to make my sister Debbie's 60th birthday quilt.  I am so excited, but I can't share.  Her 60th is still 3 years away.  ***Poor Debbie, don't even think about asking for a peek, but I will give you one hint - Red, White, and Blue.  However, Liz, you and Jill can look all you want when we visit this weekend.  =0)

The Quilt Box in Kewanee, IL. is the shop that was really not within our tentative distance guidelines. but the drive to this shop took us away from the interstate and down a picturesque highway that felt like it was from another time.   The quilt shop  was also a treat.  It had lots to see, and I could hear my brain whirling with possible quilting ideas.  I did manage to fight the urge to buy more, but it was tempting.

In Princeton, IL., we managed to find a real deal.  Two quilt shops on the same road.  The first one was the Quilter's Garden.  There were many fabrics that really appealed to both of us, but after my purchases in Le Claire, I was determined to buy only one fat quarter at any shop we entered for the remainder of at least this day.  Fortunately for me we only stopped at one more shop after this.

The second shop, Old Times Quilters Heaven and the Lacery, had a huge number of fabric bolts.  If I had a pattern already picked up and did not want to be tempted by other quilts that were on display, this would have been a perfect shop.  There are some displays but there are rows and rows of fabric bolts and that is definitely where this shop has decided to place its focus.

Main Street in Princeton, IL, was absolutely something to see.  There were a large number of antique shops and quaint looking eateries.  Some of the streets were even paved with cobblestone.  If we had not been focused on time, we probably would have check them out and enjoyed traveling back to other times in our lives.

Tomorrow we arrive in Waterford, MI, for a weekend visit with my sister and her family.  I believe we will visit at least one quilt shop there, but Debbie's focus on teaching small children.  It is her career, vocation, and avocation.  She seems to appreciate the look and feel, but she has not been tempted to fire up the machine yet.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Glad I found your blog. My husband is retired from the military and we miss military life, although we have been successful in re-entering civilian life. We also took a little while in New England after my husband retired, to think and get our bearings. He has now been retired many years. Mary

Castle Family said...

You stopped in Le Claire and didn't see the Buffalo Bill Museum or the American Pickers? Then you stopped in Kewanee and didn't visit Mary at Goode's Furniture? Missing out on some great treasures. When you get back, maybe we should all go and finish the day at Whitey's Ice Cream.