Wednesday, January 4, 2012

January 4: Quilting, Sorting, Planning, Cleaning, and Carving

Somehow that is not the order I am following, but I am having a good time doing it the "dinker's way."  I just finished reading all the blogs that I follow and am so impressed with all of the quilters' accomplishments and my daughter's goal to get truly organized.  I still am contemplating how I am going to move forward with my new found hobbies while fitting everything else in.  Therefore, acknowledging to my world that I am a first class dinker should help others understand that all things will be finished, but in dinker time rather than in Type A time.

Yesterday, I thought I was going to really work up a sweat taking care of cleaning, planning, cutting and bagging quilt kits for myself.  I did a little then walked by the carving table and remembered that one of my other goals for the week was to finish my little heart design.  I walked back to the studio, turned off the iron and lights, and then spent 2 very satisfying hours carving.  I am not done, but I am getting so close.

When I finished, I did go back to the studio and do some more with putting Anna's quilt pieces together, but cleaning, etc did not happen.  Dinkers can easily fill any amount of time given, but not necessarily with super productive work in minimum amounts of time.  We like the process and love to ruminate on what we are doing.

Let me explain something else about me. I can and do truly know how to focus and quickly complete things.  I am more than capable of finishing any task that must be done in a certain time frame whether it is making a quilt, cleaning, laundry, running errands, showering or paying bills.  I just don't feel that I am pressured to work against the clock and mount up evidence of my accomplishments every day.  Fortunately, my husband accepts me for who I am.  He knows to stay out of the way when I have a focused task, but he is never critical if I do not appear to have made any huge accomplishments some days because he knows that the next day will show the evidence.

No comments: