Monday, January 23, 2012

January 23: What I Am Doing As Opposed To What Was Planned

Many of you know that I have been removing weight for almost a year, and am getting close to my goal, but I have lived with these last 14 lbs for the longest (Jamie is over 30 and that when I realized some weight had moved in for the LONG haul.), but I never dreamed they would be screaming to be left alone.  Today for the first time in 10 months I actually had food cravings and the wrong mind set to boot!  I caved and truly enjoyed a peanut butter and jam sandwich.  Not the most earth shattering thing, but I have not had one in a long time.  SO GOOD!    Even so, I am still plugging away at this little monster and will reach and maintain because I have learned so much about myself as I have been doing this.  (Maybe the PBJ was a direct result of all the pizza talk???)

Anyway, I had intended to spend today simply quilting the two Quilts of Valor, but instead, I finished cutting up all my red/white/ and blue scraps,  and bagged them ready for use.  Most of the fabric is similar to what I am using in the current pattern, but I also made lots of hsts which will become all white scrappy stars for the block centers.  This heart and star fabric did not fit with my other colors so I am doing a simple diagonal pattern.  I used this fabric to make center pieces for my husband's Navy retirement party and wanted to incorporate it into a QOV. 
Tribute to my Irish ancestry
Then after the PBJ, I decided that I wanted to carve just a bit.  My goal is to work on carving a minimum of 6 hours a week and last week I only did 2 hours because I got so caught up with quilts.  Last night I read a little about carving and decided to try some of what it told me.  Loved the way it worked.  Need to do a lot more including sharpening up the edges of the shamrock, but I am thinking that means about 4+ hours left if not more.  Today I ended up carving for 2 1/2 hours and wanted to show you what I did even though you will have to think upside-down. (Alycia , it does not help to turn this photo because then it looks like it is trying to fall off.

No comments: