Monday, January 30, 2012

January 30: My Brother's Birthday Quilt

50 x70
My one and only brother Jim is turning 60 in May.  I started a tradition with my sister Sue of making my siblings lap quilts for this momentous occasion.  So, while Kevin and I were out for our drive we discussed the fact that I would need to get Jim's quilt top finished and quilted by the end of February or wait until we were settled in South Dakota this summer.  Since I want him to have it on his big day, I decided to once again put the "eagle" quilt on hold because I am going to quilt that one on my Bernina.  Kevin had graciously cut fabric for me several weeks ago so all I needed to do was turn them into HSTs and lay them out in a pleasing yet random way.  140 HSTs later, this is my first layout.  Should be able to piece the top together tomorrow and quilt it this week. 
Have you noticed that HSTs are my fallback block?  This one is all plaids and sutle stripes in homespun and flannel fabrics.

No comments: