Tuesday, January 10, 2012

January 10: Post # 200

I guess that I like to share or something.  This is my 200th post since the end of July when I started this retired Navy wife journey into a new and different time of life.  Today's post is not a normal one, but it is from the heart.

My LIFE QUILT is still in the making. I count every experience as another piece in the top.  As a kid I grew up as one of 8.  There was always someone who cared about what ws happening in my life, and also someone who was more than willing to point out the errors of my ways. We could mess with each other, but let an outsider try and we became a united front.  It helped me become who I am.  I always felt shy as a kid and even as a young adult, but now I am confident and willing to speak my mind when needed.  I am halfway through my life and know more about what I want and how I want to live this second half.

We loved our time moving around and experiencing all the places the Navy sent us, but there were times and places that felt stressful in ways only military families can really understand.  I deeply honor my husband's commitment to 30 years of service to our country.  He did what was right for him and served others to keep us free and safe.  However, some times I complained because I felt like I was just getting used to living some place and making friends and then there were orders to move.  Our kids went too many schools and had too many short term friendships, but then again, they saw more of this country than most.  Our extended family never seemed to live all that close, so I never got to spend much time with my nieces and nephews, but hopefully that will soon change, too.

Life is too short for regrets and wasting time looking at the negatives.  I have been known as Pollyanna by some because I always seemed to be looking for why I should be glad about a situation.  At one point I was willing that approach to go away and become more of a Scarlett, but Polly is back and I am pleased.  I am so glad to be alive and to be someone that I am proud to know. 

This time in Vermont has been a wonderful experience, and I am feeling young and energized again. Kevin and I are having the time of our lives.

No comments: