Tuesday, November 1, 2011

November 1: 2 Months in Vermont

We have already been in Vermont for 2 months.  Seems hard to believe.  Time is flying by.

 Kevin is enjoying all parts of his classes**, even errors.  He says he is learning a great deal and confirming things he was already doing.  It amazes me to hear all the joy in his voice as he talks about his various classes and learning experiences.

**Disclaimer here:  He does not really love the soreness of his thumb and that region of his hand after planing for hours, but he thinks over time it will toughen up.

Today, I pieced backs for quilts, so I really have nothing to show.  But I had a lot of time for thinking about our time in Vermont and what I want to have happen.

I am finding that I need to work more on focus simply because I have found so many things that I want to accomplish while we are here.  Seems that most of the mornings are gone before I ever really get into the studio to quilt.  I am trying to block out time for my daily meditation, exercise, housework, reading, and hand stitching.  Then I feel torn because I am not getting as much piecing and quilting done as I had hoped.  In the past Kevin might have said "Finish one thing before you start the next."  However, he has learned that when doing woodworking he needs to have several projects going so that he can have "wait time" while things dry or set-up.  Therefore, he seems to think it is okay to do what I can each day.  So, I have created another list of things that I want to do, have to do, and probably should do.  (There is always that "have-to-do list that will not wait - Problem with it is that it seems to need repeating every few days.)

I designated 2011 as the year that I will get this body back to a normal weight and increase my fitness level to that of a much younger woman or at least not such an old lady.  I have about 8 1/2 weeks left to do the weight portion and believe that I am committed to making it happen.  Exercise has never been my strong suit, but I know I am already much stronger and more flexible than I have been in years. Recently, I have really been challenging myself on the Bosu Ball and gaining my balance. (My grandson Henry, 2 years old, has never had any difficulty balancing on this thing, but he is closer to the ground and never taken the falls I have.)  With the weight loss and all the exercise, I don't seem to be nearly as klutzy as I have been over the years!!!!  Still planning to find snowshoes for the winter, but probably not until Kevin starts his winter break in the middle of December.  (Better ask Connie if Vermont ever has snow by then.  tee-hee!)  I have started using Leslie's walking tapes again with the daily goal of at least 2 miles but aiming for 5 before the end of November and am actually proud of the fact that I work up a sweat.

How to use my quilting time is a biggy!
  • One of my quilting goals has been to finish up quilts using Dad's embroidered blocks.  There are still some waiting to be created, but I think I have done a pretty good job of finishing many into tops.  This week I plan to quilt two more.
  • I finally have my HQ set up like it needs to be and plan to practice with a purpose at least a few times each week.  I have a number of comfort quilt tops and backs ready to get me started.
  • There are other quilts that I have all the materials to complete, as well.  Kevin also picked out two since we left Minnesota, so I really have NO REASON to shop for anything but backs and batting, right?
  • Well, there is another quilt that needs to be made, but I am waiting for Amanda to give me a little more color input before I start her wedding quilt.  I know one color is peacock, but I have no clue about the rest.  I do have a pattern in mind if the color is right.
  • I also have two quilts that I really believe I can get hand quilted before we leave Vermont, but I am leaving them sit until January.  Figured I would ask for a frame for Christmas - one made out of plastic tubing and sold at Joann's  (Hint for Christmas Hint!  Hint!)
Big Question: 
How many people really have the freedom I have to do this?

2 comments:

Robin said...

Yes, I know that I am very blessed and am grateful for having this year to do all of this. How many times have you wanted to scream: "Stop the world and let me get off for a while to regroup!!!"

Connie Fletcher said...

Boy...just can't stop with the weather commentaries, can you!!!! Yes, at least I surely hope there will be snow for Christmas, but there have been years where it's pretty dicey. I can't wait for showshoeing! There's only 1000 acres back there for use to tromp over. It's really beautiful!!

Very nice to have your company this evening. Thank you for the laughs and discussions.