Saturday, November 19, 2011

November 19: Basic Furniture Making Class Continued - Days 2 and 3


Yesterday was actually a very long day but it was all good.  We got up and had a leisurely breakfast and then headed for our workshop at the Vermont Woodworking School.  Before class Kevin worked on a few odds and ends and I did just a bit of carving before everyone started to arrive.  Once class started we were busy the whole day.  LOOONNNGGG day for a woman who is not standing on her feet all day, but believe me there will be memories and stories to tell.  (Still can't believe the hair, but it is what it is.)

I am putting biscuit slots in my table top boards so that
I can then glue them up.

My job was to be the catcher as the legs came out of the
planer.  The job of the planer is to create parallel, even sides
on the boards.  We had to make a number of passes
through the machine to get them milled  to the right dimensions.

Our instructor and Kevin are demonstrating how we
were supposed to use the biscuits and then glue up
our table tops.

This is a glue up of my table top.  The glue is supposed
to run out.  Just wait for Sunday when you get to see
the table top cut to size and attached to the base.

This is the back side of my table top.  Did you notice
The circular holes?  That is where the maple taps were
 placed.  The wood is referred to as tap hole maple.

I am trying to scrap off as much of the glue as I can so that
on Sunday when it goes through the planer the glue will not
gum up the blades.


 We worked hard all day and then we went to a very nice craft show. 










Saturday, November 19: 

Today we did not arrive too early for class, so Kevin did only a couple of quick tasks and I visited with the other students in our class.  Terre promised us a very busy day today, and that is exactly how it went.  Class was scheduled form 9-4 but be went until 6:00 so that we could get our table base glued up.  There was not nearly as much hand tool work in our tables as in the one that Kevin is continuing to make in his class.  Even so, I did use chisels and my carving mallet to take off some wood to fine tune the joints.  What a GREAT time we are having!


Terre is explaining a jig that is used to help cut tapers.  We
tapered our legs on 2 sides.

Still wondering who the white-haired woman is that is
tapering my table legs.

The absolute dustiest part of this table making'
is sanding.  The table in this room has holes and
there is a vacuum that pulls lots of the dust
down.  Still I had quite a bit on me at the end of
the day.

Kevin is using the dado to cut his tenons for
the table.  The tenon goes into the mortise
and forms a joint.  We have 8 in the base.

After cutting and fitting the tenons into the
mortise, I sanded the aprons of the table
and then came to the router table to put a
bead on the bottom edge of the aprons.  Looks
cool and goes with my wood, but old time Shaker
tables would not have had the bead because they were
built more simply.

After a very long day of working we went out to dinner.  Kevin
documented that I still have all my fingers.  I am sporting
a pink cammo band-aid on my finger.  Think I brushed up against
the sanding disk.  Nothing big, but did not want to bleed on my
table.

No comments: