Monday, November 14, 2011

November 14: Quilting and the Messes

I have been thinking about my next project for a long time, even
though I have many unfinished ones.  Not UFOs but just waiting
for the next step - quilting or binding.  I have had the 10 inch square cut for almost a year with the intentions of making a Twister quilt using up all my leftover Christmas fabrics.  I had not attempted one of these quilts but have made  number of lil Twister blocks for a quilt, so being that I normally do not quilt on the weekend, except when Kevin is gone, I took advantage of the situation and jumped in.  I had quite a few blocks because I was not quite sure of the size.  Because of the recutting of the top, the directions say that you lose about 1/4 to 1/3 of the original top (Although you can use some it for other projects, LATER.)  I have decided to go with a 9 x 12 block layout, but had managed to create a large mess finding two more pieces of fabric to add a little more various to the mix.  When I was finished with all the cutting and piecing, I had 37 blocks left.  I used 36 and attached a white border to get it ready to make a lap quilt.  Thought it would all be stitched together on Saturday and Sunday, but as always I did do some other things when Kevin came home.  Thought I would share a couple of photos of my progress.  After everything is recut and sewn together again, I will share measurements and side-by-side photos to show you the magic.

Now for the Messes!
Part of my brain acknowledges that I knew I was making a huge mess in my studio and hallway, but not until this morning when I was headed back to do a little ironing did it really hit home.  I pointed it out to Kevin and he chuckled.  Does that mean that I ignore my quilting messes or that he saw the horror in my face over just how bad things were?  You get to see the messes, but you and I will never know what he was thinking because he knows there is a "line" one should not cross.  lol
















The sewing table and machine are in the kitchen because of the size of the t-shirt quilt I am working on and the backings and bindings I have been adding to quilts.  Can't begin to imagine the mess if those had been in the room as well.  Before anyone calls the hoarder patrol, I want you to know I was looking for fabrics for the quilt above.  Then of course I got sidetracked and found a few other items, etc.  I realized that I was off track so I went back to the machine to piece, believing I would get things in order before the end of the day, Saturday.  However, Sunday I was in the room off and on pressing seems and walking around the piles.  Never even registered the mess!  So what caught my eye today that set me to gasping?  Check the next photo.


These are completed tops that are begging to be quilted.  See how they are piling up?

After I finish posting, I am going to clean up and organize!  I am going to clean up and organize! I am going to clean up and organize!.......

Photos will be posted later today.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Yes, I know how you like organization, but it's good to know that you're human like the rest of us. You are sooooo productive!