Thursday, November 10, 2011

November 10: Pantograph Thoughts

Pantograph of Angel Wings from Willow Creek Designs:  2nd Use----I think that I saw some improvements in the shapes of the angel wings, but I am still not ready to do close ups of my work or put this one on anyone else's quilt.  I put on music and tried to block all thought so I could just flow, but there are some odd mistakes that I want to share.
I do not know if part of the problem was that some of the blocks are foundation pieces and others are not, but I could definitely tell the difference even thought I worked from the back of the machine.  I did not have puckers, but there are a few areas that were thinking about it!!!  Spacing was right on except in the last row.  I seem to have done the design twice on half the run, but the bobbin thread ran out on the other side.  Since this is a practice, I did not go back and rip it out.  Of course since I did not even figure out the mistake until I was trimming the quilt, it would have been very difficult to go back, anyway.

What I have learned after two practice quilts:
  • Squaring up the quilt and loading is always the best practice and something I already do.
  • Finger tracing the pattern several different times was great for helping me think through where I was headed.  I basically have done this regularly on freehand designs so that I can plan where to go next.
  • A very quick pause at points helps make them sharp.  Same plan with freehand.
  • ANY loose thread or semi-loose thread on the top can cause a bit of jerky moment, so make sure to check before doing the pass.  When I am working from the front I see the threads far in advance and trim as I go.
  • Just let the phone ring and keep on doing what you are doing.  Call back when you take a break.
  • If you step away from the machine, ALWAYS check to remind yourself what you were doing before starting to sew again.
  • Until further notice, combination of foundation and non-foundation blocks using a poly bat or even 80/20 will be quilted from the front to help me visualize and work ahead of a puffiness issue.
  • Practice new pantos on busy ground-use or donation quilts.  Errors don't show as much and the quilt still gets some great texture.

No comments: