Monday, November 14, 2011

November 14: Carving Class

 I am not a yellow blonde, but the
lighting says I am, so...
What a blast!  I truly enjoyed this class and learning the first bits and pieces about carving.  Terre is giving me private lessons at the school.  For now I am using her tools, but we are headed to a place where there is a Woodcraft store, so I am thinking I will be making a purchase.  Oh, yeah!

We did a lot of talking but there was plenty of hands-on time.  I made mistakes, but I learned a lot in the process.  I am already thinking about several designs I would like to attempt.  The first 3 photos of my initial cutting and then the beginning of the excavation.  It is amazing how the grain of the wood changes directions and demands that I pay close attention to it or it will have some tear out.  I am imagining that with time the wood will talk to me the same way I think the fabric talks to me when I am making a quilt.










Kevin took this at the end of class.  We were still smiling and
having a good time.  Terre is a great teacher for someone like
me who is full of questions.

Last but not least, I still have all my fingers and no boo-boos.
One band-aid was used by Kevin.  He somehow cut his little
finger while he was sweeping around the lathe.  He used a blue
cammo colored one.


2 comments:

Sharon said...

I'm soooo thankful that you didn't need the band-aids.

Robin said...

Wait a minute, did you think I would give in to the negative thinkers and cut myself???