Monday, November 21, 2011

November 21: Bits and Pieces

This is the t-shirt quilt that I have been working on this month.  There are a number of postsspecifically about it, but this is a better color shot.  Hope it will be well loved and bring a smile to the owner's face.  There are obviously lots of memories in these well-worn shirts.


Today I will finish sewing the storage pillow case, but I am thinking of adding a binding to it, so I will wait to photograph it until that is finished.


If you know me personally, you will appreciate the fact that I have bought this t-shirt for myself.  I love being silly and affectionate with my nieces and nephews and all their children.  However, not all of them know me as well, so I thought that since I am moving back to South Dakota, I should provide appropriate warning.  I would have purchased a second shirt that said "Beware of the Mad Hugger!" but there is not one on the market.  Might have to design my own.  lol





Fresh from the shower, caught
playing around with my scartle.
On Friday, I told you we went to the Craft Vermont Show.  I was walking around complaining as usual that my hands were way too cold as we came upon a booth selling knitted items.  Usually I walk by since so many use wool yarn and that is something I do not touch.  However, I my hands were COLD so I stuck up a conversation with Janet L Chambers of Sleepy Cats Designs.  Her knitted items were not wool, and she said that she made her first pair of fingerless gloves because her hands got cold when she went to bed to read.  SO I BOUGHT A PAIR!  Before we had wandered far through the room, my hands were so much warmer that I actually walked back to her booth to thank her.    I also bought a scartle, which is basically a tube instead of a long strip of knitted yarn  It can be worn at the neck for extra warmth or pulled up like I have it in the photo.       If I were into knitting, I would make one of each for everyone on my Christmas list  because they are so practical and simple.  In my case, I was just delighted to spend the money and finally have warmer hands.  (I am wearing the fingerless gloves as I type.)

One of the students at the school actually rescued this tool apron from the trash.  The previous owner had finally thrown it away because it was so full of holes.  We discussed the "Hole" situation and decided that we could barter for the repairs.  I am thinking she can build me a wooden trivet signed by a fine wood worker who could one day be very famous.   I told her that I would patch it with her favorite color, green, but I am also embelishing it some just to make it a little fun. I did not use any of the denim iron on repair patches because I did not know how all the dried on glues, etc, would reach to heat.  (All the embroidered flowers I am planning to add today can be removed.  with a quick snip of the scissors.)   Since woodworkers do not want to have any thing dangling to be caught in machinery, I attached a pink bow to the back strap like a tatoo instead.  This apron could easily have years left in it now that it has been patched.  If she will model, I will snap a photo.

1 comment:

Living in the In Between said...

Robin, the quilt is adorable! I can't wait to see it!