Saturday, December 17, 2011

November 17: Lost Thursday and Friday

Actually, I did not, but I was busy.  Decided that before we mailed the last two Christmas boxes I would whip up a quick texture/tactual quilt for my younger granddaughter, Anna.  Kevin and I had found the top fabric (yes, it was already pieced) at Joann's and thought it would do the trick.  Anna seems to love textures.  The binding is flannel backed satin.  I had never worked with it before, but it handled nicely and washed up fine.  This is not technically a Christmas gift, but she will get it Christmas day if her parents follow the directions on the mailing box.

In the next couple of days I will begin the quilt that will be made of all the fabrics she picked out plus the ones I added.  I liked working with the flannel back satin, so I bought some more for the binding on this upcoming quilt.

Thought you would like to see another shot of Rob's finished screens.  He got them finished just in time so no incomplete for him.  However, more to the point is that he did a good job and I heard some really positive feedback about his efforts from others at the school.

Kevin finished his last evaluations for the first semester on Thursday, which is good because the truck needed an emergency trip to see the dealer for service.  It was making some awful noises, but the power steering went out just as we turned into the dealer's lot.  Lucky for us.   Turns out we need two hoses.  One was in stock, but the other one won't be available until mid-week.  We were fortunate that the dealership had  loaner.  The price of this repair is about $250, so we were lucky with that, as well.

We left the dealership and dealt with a number of piddly errands, came home and did a little rearranging to fit the additional furniture built at school, quilted and attached binding to another small quilt, watched a movie, played cribbage(I won!), and worked on another binding.

I tried another quilting technique for today's small quilt.  I am not certain I love it, but after all the threads are tucked and the binding is stitched down I will share.  I used the circle groovy board and made different sizes of circles all over the top.  It was definitely a learning experience.  I will try something different with the board later, but I am going to have to think about what fits with my way of quilting.

No comments: