Friday, December 9, 2011

December 9: Wonderful, Inspirational Evening

We invited two of the woodworking students out for pizza last night and then promised to show Rachel my HQ.  Rachel delivered her part of our barter.  Isn't it a gorgeous trivet?  It is made of cherry and maple.  (If you recall, I patched up a woodworking apron for her.)

 After a an hour of enjoyable conversation over our pizza, we headed for the apartment. Both Rachel and Chris had been in the apartment when other students lived here.  It felt good to hear them say that it smelled much better and that we had made it a cozy place.  They also shared a few stories that explained all the nail holes in the bathroom wall and a few other things.

We followed that up with the very best part of the evening.  If you know me very well, you know I love to share what I know.  In this case I learned more than I ever expected.   I generally offer to let people who express n interest take a test run on the HQ if I have time to load some fabric.  I planned ahead on this one and put a yard of muslin in with blue thread.  Most people are very anxious about it and use a death grip on the handles, but Rachel and Chris were pretty fearless and talented right out of the gate.














Once they did some test runs the fun really began.   Kevin hinted that maybe I should not push them to do anything else, but they seems so genuinely interested that I just told them to have at.   Rachel started with a continuous line drawing of Chris.  Then Chris followed up with a Rachel.  There was no shyness or hesitation in their efforts.  The person posing stood in the same place each time and could not see what was being done.  The rest of us commented all the way through about different aspects and the laughter was contagious!











They did combined efforts on Kevin and me. They each did 1/2 of each of us and then embellished with tools of our trades.  I will be taking the whole piece to the party at the woodworking school tonight and then I have plans to cut up the individual drawings and give the first two to them and have Kevin build frames for ours.  I am going to serge the edges and mount them in a shadowbox setting. 

Aren't these amazing?  What would happen if they had more practice?  Both of them are finished with school in a couple of days, but the offer is there for them to come back and be creative.  It was really inspiring and freeing for me.





















3 comments:

Castle Family said...

Love this! Tell them both good job! especially if it was their first times!

CR said...

Thank you, it was most definitely my first time. Robin, I'm glad you had as much fun as I did.

Wendy said...

I bet they are both good with an Etch-a-Sketch, too!