Thursday, December 22, 2011

December 22: Still Cutting

Kevin came home early yesterday, so we had a quick,early dinner and then went off on an adventure.  Therefore, I did not get much more piecing done until this morning.  Even that is behind because my husband is on school break and I love hanging out with him.  He is up at the school until late this evening doing some odd jobs and touching wood.  (Kind of the way that I get such a happy feeling when it is time to play with fabric.)

Last night's adventure started by going to the jewelry store to pick up a cameo pin.  Kevin purchased just the cameo 28 years ago when he was on a Mediterranean deployment.  He went on a tour of the DePaola Cameo Factory and watched the artist carving the cameos.  Although this is not the one he saw being carved, he said it was very similar.  Money was tight, so he thought it would be a simple thing to get cameo mounted as a pin in the future...28 years later, when we had my emerald ring restyled he talked to the jeweler and planned the design for the cameo.  Since it was already mine, it was not a Christmas gift, but with our 36th anniversary just days away, he thought this would be just the gift.  He is right!  It is gorgeous and will be worn on Christmas Eve. Isn't she a beautiful lady?




Just past the tails we detoured to Lowe's where we bought a Dremel.  If you have been reading my blog, you know that I have taken an interest in carving.  I have lots of hand tools, but have discovered that the Dremel helps to clear away or excavate all the unwanted wood (negative space).  Kevin is showing a lot of interest in the carving as well, and since he will not even be able to go to school and work in the shop next week, we are planning to carve.  This will be worth lots of post time.

Remember that I had posted that i did not sleep well yesterday?  I thought I would collapse when we got back, but instead I sewed more HSTs while Kevin did some paperwork.  I am going to finish trimming all of those HSTs now and start making table runners.  Love to do that kind of piecing!

No comments: