Thursday, April 5, 2012

April 5: Quilting Today

I did a few tasks first thing this morning and have been quilting ever since.  Last week I shared some of what I was doing with my "ugly" fabric.  My friend Deb let me know that she had the same fabrics and thought that many were just fine. Each individual fat quarter really is pretty ugly, at least in my mind.  (And I purchased a good bit of it --- hmmmmmmmmmmmmm???)  Of course she cut hers up fairly small on the first quilt.  The second quilt she made did not have as small of pieces but they were by no means gigantic either.  Even so, her second one was another good looking quilt, so maybe the fabric is not as bad as I still believe, but this is what I decided to do with the remaining fabric.  (No, the other top is not complete, but it will be in the next week or so.  Trying this one was just too tempting.)

 The original pattern for this quilt is called Braids on Parade from Far-Flung Quilts, Creations from Carolyn Griffin  www.farflungquilts.com.  When I purchased the pattern I was thinking of using earth tone leftovers, but I am actually liking this version.  I am probably making mine a wider version of a lap or maybe twin quilt simply to make sure no scraps of the fabric remain when I am finished.  It will have a 3 1/2 " border and binding using the dark green fabric.
Getting the strips started seemed to be a little confusing for me, but then I was reading her diagrams rather than her directions.  Once I did that, everything cam together easily.  Now it is that relaxing, mindless sewing and pressing that I need for a day like today.
You may or may not see any more photos of this until it has the borders.  However, it will be put together by April 15th, just like the other version.  I do set goals, after all!  lol

1 comment:

Nancy A. said...

Robin, I LOVE the colors and design. I happen to love batik material,because I think it kind of blurs the colors together. (I don't know if your material is batik, but it looks like it to my very inexperienced eye.)