Wednesday, April 25, 2012

April 25: Grey, Damp, Rainy and 42, but ........

We slept in until 6:30 and then organized ourselves for a trip to the saw mill.  The plan was to buy some wonderful Vermont and Pennsylvania rough cut cherry and maple to take with us when we start the woodworking business in South Dakota.  Although it looked like the chance of rain was more like 100%, we headed off on our adventure.

We did buy the wood we had planned, but we also bought one board of tap hole maple, a board of basswood (I carve on this.) and a set of 9 boards of striped maple that was too gorgeous to pass up (dreaming of tables, etc with this set!).  As I told my friend, Deb, I have found something that rivals purchasing that perfect piece of fabric.  Both Kevin and I had visions of what we would do with the various kinds of wood, so now it is time to get that shop set up and start doing.

We are going to be vending at a quilt show in November which has a theme of "Around the Block" or something very similar.  There are lots of items that we will be offering that will be quilting related, but I have decided that I will carve more traditional quilt blocks and turn them into boxes that could be used as  plant holders, trinket boxes, sewing accessory catch-alls, or even holders for mail.  Kevin and I will cut all the pieces for the boxes out of the basswood that we purchased, then I will do the carving.  We are going to try some wood dying on some of the blocks, light stain on a few others, and a natural finish on the rest.  If they turn out like I envision and are not too labor intensive, I might consider a second board and make double the number.  I am also thinking of carving quilt block designs and having Kevin create a cell phone chargining station.  After all, quilting is still my first love.

No comments: