Monday, April 23, 2012

April 23: Could Not Seem to Resist

One of the quilts I started when we arrived in Vermont was a large queen-sized quilt for our bed, but then I got sidetracked with so many other quilts, carving, and just being on this adventure. Yesterday, I thought that I was done sewing until I got my new studio up and running in the new place, but as I was packing up the studio, I realized I had some time.  (Is that a lame excuse?)  So I spent a good chunk of yesterday working on this postponed quilt.  There are lots of bias edges on this one, so I am only going to go so far and then pack everything away for the final cutting later.  (It will be finished this year!)

It started with Kevin spotting this charm pack.

Then we spotted some Lil' Twister tools and
quilts displayed in a shop.  Knew it would be
lots of sewing and cutting because I had already
started working on a couple quilts using the
bigger version of the tool.  Bought just one
charm packet and a yard of the background fabric. 
The tool is by CS designs.  Find out more about it at
www.country-schoolhouse.com

After deciding that we liked the first few
blocks I made with the original purchase,
 I purchased more on my first
outing with Connie.  Piles represent many
of the border strips I will be sewing.

I made up sets of 4-patch blocks using the
36 squares in each charm pack.


Next I sewed on the borders.  Best part is that there is no reason
to make certain that the block is perfect because it will be cut
again. 


The secret to the block truly is the Lil' Twister tool.  There
lots of bias edges, but I have had no problem with it.  Just
remind myself that it is bias.





 I have to make a total of 154 blocks.  There will be not additional border.  Kevin had only positive comments about the blocks so far.  He did not even comment on the fact that instead of packing I was sewing.  What a guy!!

No comments: