Tuesday, March 27, 2012

March 27: Shhhh! I should be doing other things

What I should be doing and will be doing in just a few minutes is finishing up my second bear and starting the finishing of the final bear.  But, I always allow myself some unplanned time until 9:00 am.  I have a regular morning routine which I general complete by 8:15, so I had some time.  Even so, I have a packed schedule today so I could have jumped right into the bears,.....................................
 ...........BUT.....................
 other fabric was screaming at me.
Several years ago, my dear friend Deb and I decided that we would make quilts using the same fabrics.  However, I started the challenge with all these awful fabrics (I bought them.), and then just kind of blocked them from my thoughts.  Of course over time, Deb contributed more fabrics and I occasionally added something to the mix.  Most of those are NOT in this pile because they did not fit today's thought process.

I am always reading that if you cut the pieces small enough they will somehow be beautiful in a quilt, and I do like scrappy quilts.   I also am thinking that if not now, WHEN?  Therefore, the fabrics hit the cutting table this morning.  These are all fat quarters and many have duplicates.  My plan is to cut one fat quarter of each into 2 1/2" strips, Sew 5 of the strips together and then cut each of those sections into 2 1/2" strips.  From there, I will make many 25-patch blocks.  After that I am not certain, but this quilt will be made up of fabric strictly from my stash.   The duplicate fat quarters may be added as well, depending on the initial appearance and size of what I make, but they could also go into something else yet to be named.

Already I am liking the fabrics more, but not certain how this is all going to work, yet.  It is the process I am working with at the moment.

No comments: