Thursday, March 22, 2012

March 22: A Mish-Mash of Thoughts During the Wedding Weekend

My wrist is feeling better and I am starting to believe this virus is headed out, so today I am going to try and be a bit more normal, at least for me. Since Saturday, I have been on the computer doing research and responding to urgent emails, but otherwise I have been just kind of "being" since we returned home.  I have not even touched fabric for a week, so when I finish blogging, I am headed back to the studio to work on a project, not a quilt, that I have promised by the end of the month.  (It can be done as long as my wrist and head continue to improve!)

Thought I would share a little more about our travel adventures and then spend the remainder of the day with my sewing machine. =0)

We left Vermont on the 7th and spent two very long days of driving and two very short nights of sleeping while traveling to South Dakota.  We decided that we would make only brief stops for watering and de-watering, plus 8 to 9 hours in the motels.  The actually driving distance is about 26 hours, so each stop added up.  We left at 5:30 PM Wednesday and arrived in Sioux Falls at noon on Friday.  Thank heavens for my wonderful travel companion and audio books!  No quilt shop stops this time.

When we arrived in Sioux Falls we put our truckload of goods into our storage unit and then went in search of family.  We had not seen any of them since moving to Vermont in August.  Friday evening was spent with rehearsal, dinner in a cafe, and visiting time at my brother's with part of the family.  I gave my brother his 60th birthday quilt early because we did not think we would be back in South Dakota before his big day.

Back at the hotel, we met up with the mother of the brideand a packed room of her family's "lake family".  After a short visit we handed off the 800+ mints.  Then we went back to our room and stayed up late waiting for our daughter's family to arrive at the hotel where we shared adjoining rooms. After a brief reunion, everyone tucked in and slept.  Saturday brought time for playing with the grandkids, etc.  Went to breakfast with a number of family members and then went shopping for some items needed for the wedding outfits. After shopping and before the wedding my family headed back to the hotel. Thought the grandkids needed down time, but as you can see, it was more of a grown-up thing.


After the naps, Kevin and I ran out for a few sandwiches, got changed, and headed off for the wedding.



My niece was gorgeous and her groom was very attentive.  I had a front row seat with my husband and another niece who did the readings during mass.  I was on call just in case I needed to help adjust the long train on her dress.  (The bridemaids' dresses were form fitting.)  Weddings are always special, but it was a unique perspective to be sitting where we had full view of the couple and their parents' faces throughout the ceremony.  I took a number of more traditional shots, but I also able to snap this shot which simply says, "We made it and I am still having a great time!"


The rest of the day was spent with family in the hotel and at the reception.  These guys really know how to put on a party!  My grandson Henry's favorite part by far was the candy bar where he could be found every chance he was able to escape.  Here is  how my grandson Henry occupied about 45 minutes in pure fun and focus.  As his father and mother both stated, "He is keeping busy and is quiet."  There was a photo booth where everyone could have their photos taken and then placed in an album with comments written for the happy couple.  The dance where married couples dance until the DJ said those married ____ or less please dance to the edge of the floor was amazing.  It showed just how many people have really stayed married.   Wow, I thought our 36 was something but there were still a number of people dancing in the center when we moved off to the side.  The longest married was 63 or 68 years, Kyle's grandparents.

The blue lighting on the wall had an interesting effect on all of us.  Thought I would share a couple of shots of Kevin and I and the grandkids.  (Before leaving Vermont, I had my hair cut - asked that the woman cut off any leftover signs of coloring so she cut of 5-6 inches.)











This was such a good time!  I love my jeans and t-shirts, but dressing up a couple times a year  and dancing with my sweetheart can be fun.

Sunday Kevin and I went to St. Joseph's Cathedral for mass.  It is where were married so it was another part of the "wedding" weekend.  The Cathedral has just finished a major renovation and was a sight to behold.  I grew up in that parish, so I had been through several re-dos but this one is spectacular and really makes me feel that it is honoring God and our faith.

After mass we spent the day with family, again.  The happy couple had gift opening.  I managed a photo of the wedding quilt, but am hoping for a better photo later.  We were headed off to the airport to take my sister, so I was not as focused as I could have been.  Even so, I am pretty certain that Amanda and Kyle are pleased with the quilt.

No comments: